This goal of this project is to develop controllers for cooperative and automated vehicles. To that end in-vehicle and inter-vehicle controllers will developed. Thirdly, dynamic path planning will be part of this research. With the inclusion of inter-vehicle communication the collective behavior of a platoon of vehicles can be improved compared to single vehicle automated driving. However, as long as automated vehicles will participate in mixed traffic, there is a requirement for vehicles that are capable of operating autonomously within regular traffic. To that end path planning is an important part of automated driving, given the ever changing environment the vehicles are functioning in. Furthermore, a major challenge is to localize the vehicle within its driving environment and measure its own behavior.
1. Develop controllers for automated vehicles on a vehicle level.
2. Develop controllers for automated vehicles considering a platoon of vehicles such that the collective behavior is improved compared to a single automated vehicle.
3. Develop path planning algorithms that facilitate automated driving.
4. Develop a vehicle state estimator that creates a coherent image of the vehicle states and its surroundings.
- Why is Autonomous Localisation Required in Lateral Cooperative Control? Tom van der Sande, Jeroen Ploeg (TNO), Henk Nijmeijer – ERCIM NEWS – https://ercim-news.ercim.eu/en109/special/why-is-autonomous-localisation-required-in-lateral-cooperative-control
- “Motion Planning for Autonomous Connected Vehicles”, Robbin van Hoek, Jeroen Ploeg, Henk Nijmeijer – AVEC 2018 (http://avec2018.org/#)
- “Driver intervention detection in autonomous vehicles for driverinitiated take-over requests”, Wouter Schinkel, Tom van der Sande, Jan Loof, Henk Nijmeijer – AVEC 2018 (http://avec2018.org/#)
- Sande, T.P.J. van der and Nijmeijer, H. From cooperative to autonomous vehicles, Sensing and Control for Autonomous Vehicles, Spring international publishing, ISBN 978-3-319-55372-6, pp. 435-452, 2017
- R.B.A. van Hoek, J. Ploeg, H. Nijmeijer, Motion planning for automated connected vehicles, Proceedings of AVEC2018, Beijing, 2018
- Wouter Schinkel, Tom van der Sande, Jan Loof, Henk Nijmeijer, Driver intervention detection in automated vehicles, Proceedings of AVEC2018, Beijing, 2018
- F.N. Hoogeboom, T.P.J. van der Sande, & H. Nijmeijer, Fault Detection and Isolation of Steering System Actuators for an Automated Vehicle, AVEC2018, Beijing, 2018
- Henk Nijmeijer – AVEC16 plenary lecture – Control of Vehicles: cooperative and/or autonomous driving